Sunday, April 12, 2009

Communion.


Today at church we took communion, probably along with every other church in America that believes Jesus rose from the dead on Easter. I am always confused while taking communion, I dreadfully desire to honor that which the Lord told us to do, He said take communion and do it in remembrance of Him so that is what I do.
But I am not sure I understand it. I was holding the cracker today and thinking "What is it I am supposed to be thinking and feeling right now?" So I went through a list of things I am so thankful for, redemption, grace, unmerited favor, and that is what I meditated on. Is there something else that I am missing? I just don't understand I suppose. I want to!
So here goes, I am going to do a little bible study on communion. Don't make a doctrine out of this (although I know you weren't thinking that...)

1 corinthians 11:23-11:26

23 For I received from the Lord what I also handed on to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took a loaf of bread ,24 and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, ‘This is my body that is broken for you. Do this in remembrance of me.’ 25In the same way he took the cup also, after supper, saying, ‘This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.’ 26For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes.

So I see from this verse that I do communion to honor the charge given. Simply: do this in remembrance. It doesn't have to be a spectacle as some make it, your first communion should be when you first decide to be faithful to the charge given here. There is nothing mystical or "wooooo" about it, its a symbol of given to us tangible beings of a work in the heart.

I think the Lord endeavored to give us many tangible things in order for us to have a deeper relationship with Him. Husbands and wives, think of this. We are physical beings. We enjoy that which can be felt and not just believed. I read in a book about marraige how one wife felt very unloved because her husband hadn't told her he loved her in 40 years. She told him how she felt and he said "Honey I told you at our wedding that I love you, if anything changes, I'll let you know" Is that how you treat the Lord sometimes? I know its true of me sometimes. I may remember Him when something is going wrong or I need help, some catalyst brings to remembrance the fact that He is always there. Its as if I say "I don't need you right now, if anything changes I'll let you know" I think communion is partially instituted by God because it gives us that time to sit back, hold something in our hands, taste it with our mouth, and remember that He loves us enough to have sacrificed for us. An equivocal love.

JOHN 15:5 "I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing."

Communion is also a healthy reminder of this verse. I would reccomend memorizing this verse and when you take communion, recite it in your head. Thats what I am going to do. It speaks so eloquently on the fact that God is our everything! Him being the vine and us being the branches means that we cannot be without Him. He is our source of life, nourishment, strength, everything.

And also: MAT 26:28 "For this is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins."

Jesus took away my sin. This still amazes me. Everytime I hear my most favorite song, Amazing Grace, I cry. I am a wretch until covered with the blood of Christ. I was so lost until Jesus brought me into Him. I was blind until He gave me sight. That is why I take communion.

So to end it here are the words of that song:

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promised good to me.
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as life endures.

Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.

When we've been here ten thousand years
Bright shining as the sun.
We've no less days to sing God's praise
Than when we've first begun.

2 comments:

Uriel said...

what do you think 1 Cor. 11:27-32 is all about?
I think there's something definite in the symbol - It was looked on for so long and from such early times as a "Means of Grace" like prayer or baptism, I don't think those things are "just" symbols either. I don't buy the catholic extreme, but I don't think the way I've observed most take it properly accords with scripture. Maybe there's no "wooo"- but I think there should be "wow" at least. something more than the slurp and faint munching sound that seem to be the beginning and end of most christians' appraisal of the Lord's Supper.
But I'm glad you thought about it.

Melody said...

Well I also agree there is meaning in the symbolism, it seems that all my study of the bible has proven that God always does things for a reason. Just not the crazy symbolism that Catholicism and Lutherans put on it I think...