Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Birthdays.

I have realized today how really worthless birthdays are. I used to think it was the best day of the year and I would count down months away in anticipation...waiting for that day when I got my special dinner and beautifully wrapped gifts. Now its going to class in the morning, opening cards, and reading facebook comments. 
I wish that birthdays would not lose their magic, I mean remember when you turned 10? I do. It was such a big deal to me, I planned it so far in advance and I knew exactly what I wanted. I guess I am just realizing that getting older is not all its cracked up to be because then we see that in reality, nobody else truly cares much about your birthday anymore. I mean, its true for me too.
So I am going to a pub (an awesome little Irish one in St.Paul) sometime soon with my sister and brother in law. So that should be fun.
Other than that, I need to continue enjoying my birthday. Basically, I need to study for class tonight and finish my homework from my class this morning. 
Cheers!

5 comments:

E. Chikeles said...

I think you've never lost your childhood excitement for b-days... husband is the same way. I have a hard time understanding how a day I would rather no one remember you and he seem to wish they did.
Maybe you should try that next year. =P

I can't wait for the pub! But I will not be hooking you up with any irish men... Japanese, however...

KaiCeder said...

I hope your day ended well. Actually, I thought it started well too. Actually, I thought the middle was pretty good too, but then again, it wasn't MY birthday. Catch me in two weeks and I may think differently. Lol!

- Sarah :-) said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I think becuase of the internet, every-stinkin-thing is become SO Much less personal!

But let me say this - if I was your buddy, and I knew it was your birthday... it'd be a big deal.

I am HUGE on birthdays!! And my husband almst gets emabrrassed by it. ha ha.

Know what sucks? The 14th is my Mom's 50th!!! and no one is doing anything special... just the usual dinner and gifts. I mean - she almost DIED this past year, and now nothing?! I hadn't planned anything becuase my big sister is usually the planner, and I don't want to step on toes, but I'm sad. Trying to dig in and stir something up, but I think it may be too late, now. *sigh... *tear... *sadness...

How old are you turning? You have to make it a big deal, or no one else will. If you wait for them to, you'll be disappointed. So - how odl will you be? I'll come up with ideas, and you can throw yourself the best birthday party ever, and then invite people you love to hang out with. It'd be a blast!

Melody said...

Actually, my birthday was yesterday and now I am 21. Thanks Sarah, we would probably have had a blast!

- Sarah :-) said...

21 and you didn't do anything BIG?! Come ON!! You've got to be kidding me! Okay - who's going ot make up for this? The big sister - you've got work to do! ( no pressure, or anything... ha ha ha)

Man - no fun!

Okay - I say you should get people together and go rock our a karaoke bar. Now that you're 21 - you can get in and you'll probably get a few free drinks or something it you tell them it's your birthday (you can leave out the detail abotu it being a few days before. ;-)