Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Why I love America.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness"

I have recently been studying the Declaration of Independence, The Constitution, and the Bill of Rights and have come to appreciate our government more. Although I don't agree with all of the amendments (event though I love the 2nd one), I am awed by the beauty and obvious faith of the countries founders. 

When I have more time I will write a complete post that shows the components of the Bill of Rights and the Amendments, however right now I need to get going to dinner. 

Some Quotes by Benjamin Franklin:

The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself.

This will be the best security for maintaining our liberties. A nation of well-informed men who have been taught to know and prize the rights which God has given them cannot be enslaved. It is in the religion of ignorance that tyranny begins.

God grant that not only the love of liberty but a thorough knowledge of the rights of man may pervade all the nations of the earth, so that a philosopher may set his foot anywhere on its surface and say: This is my country.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote

No comments: