Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Oh life...

Tis a wonderous thing. Working in the field I do I get to witness day in and out how blessed I am and my family is. How is it, I wonder, that God chooses to bestow blessings? That some walk around (or wheel around, or don't go around at all) on oxygen their whole lives with a feeding tube and zero comprehension while others can compete in the Olympics? How one 95 year old woman can fall over and tell me she was in a boxing match but she thinks its time to take up something a little less agressive and try wrestling. She can be so spry and witty while in the next room a 40 year old is degenerating from MS? I am so glad that the Lord is the Lord and omniscient and that I don't have to make these decisions. I am glad to know that the Creator has a plan that will ultimately bring justice and peace.

Anyways...

I saw someone come in today who had a certain type of traumatic accident a few years ago that left them in a basically unresponsive state. Body shriveling up and eyes staring into nowhere. It was a traumatic head injury and made me think maybe it is better that Caleb died then live like that. He was so active and that would have killed him more than anything. I wonder if people in that state can understand what they are missing or if the Lord blesses them with a 5 second memory, amnesia of their lives before and no ambitions beyond the next minute. I mean that may sound cruel but think of it: it would be a blessing. If I, with my mind the way it is now, were to be in that state my brain would be the thing that would kill me. I would rather my brain be gone and me not be myself than anything else. I know Caleb would have felt the same so it is a comfort. Instead of having a feeding tube he is dancing unrestrained before his Creator whom he lived to serve.

In other news...
I am trying to find health insurance for Michael and I. I realized yesterday that we do need it. You see the thing about accidents and emergencies is that you really don't know when they are coming. I hear stories of people who were doing the most unlikely things when they got hurt and landed in the ER. I mean things like gathering wood for the fire, walking to the car, climbing the stairs. And I'm not talking old and decrepid people either. I don't want to get stuck being afraid of coming to the Doctor if we need it because we can't afford it. So if you would pray that we find good rates and get well insured, I would appreciate it.

:)

1 comment:

Uriel said...

Yes, I'll pray for you both right now. It helps if you're poor (American style poor) like us, then it's cheaper.